Tuesday 2 August 2011

Review: NYC Show Time Waterproof Mascara

Sorry guys! It has been so long since my last post, I'm back for good now though! I've just been busy with exams, holidays, and overcoming summer induced laziness...got there in the end! Ha :)

The product I'll be reviewing in this post is not something I would have normally picked up in a shop. In fact, I only bought it because I needed a cheap waterproof mascara that'll take me through my beach holiday. I'm not usually a big fan of waterproof mascaras, the removal is far too draining.


The NYC Show Time waterproof mascara has really made its way into my good books- it lengthens, curls, and volumises beautifully. Whenever I get a new mascara, eyelash curlers are never used for the first application. This is so that I can see what the product itself is capable of. It really does take a good mascara to flatter my natural lashes, which are straight, droopy and very short. I loved the results this mascara delivered so much, that I haven't felt the need to pick up my eyelash curlers at all.


The formulation...

...is amazing! It is wet enough so that you can build up the products and shape your lashes without clumping, and dry enough so that your lashes don't droop whilst waiting for the product to dry. I think the waterproof factor makes the formulation more waxy, which is what gives this mascara its lovely qualities.


The mascara does lack on the waterproof front though. It comes off when in contact with water, but not in the way a non-waterproof mascara would. The majority of the product does stay on, but some of it would run and leave a grey cast around the eye area. It also didn't stand the hot summer heat, and left me with minor panda eyes when I was on holiday...nothing a little primer wouldn't fix though. To give you an idea, I applied some of the product to the back of my hand to see how it took water exposure. I was initially very impressed as it didn't budge at all, and it even survived me rubbing on it with my finger. However, after five minutes it was completely gone...I had no idea when it decided to come off!

The brush...


This is the one thing I do not like about this product. I have always rooted for plastic wands over the traditional fibre bristles, as I find they tend to encourage clumps. I suppose this problem can be overcome by using a plastic wand from old mascaras that I never use anymore....*brain wave*...

How it ages...

To be honest, not great. I've had this mascara for just over a month and it has already dried quite a lot. The ageing process may have been encouraged by all the hot weather it's been getting, making the mascara very hard to work with, especially with the wand it came with.

The price...

It was really, really cheap! I can't remember exactly, but I think it was around the £2 mark. It may have been on offer, but NYC products are very reasonably priced anyway...no fault to pick here!

Conclusion...

This mascara had the most wonderful consistency when first opened, I just wish it would stay that way! Keeping it in the fridge would have been a good idea, but I didn't think it would be this unforgiving with heat exposure. For the price though, it's amazing.

Rating: 7/10
Repurchase: Maybe...probably

And lastly, just a few holiday snaps!




Really enjoyed writing this post, it's good to be back!

Chuui
X

5 comments:

G said...

i own the regular version of this - having picked it up on a whim also :) i can't say i was blown away, but it performed better than i was expecting it to!

Unknown said...

Fab post!! Come back soon!!

Unknown said...

Fab post!! Come back soon!!

thomessa said...

I might have to try this mascara. I'm on the hunt for a new favorite. Loved the review. :) And love the holiday photos.

Chuui said...

@Sikenthreads
You're right, it was amazing to start off with, but didn't really deliver after the first month! It's a shame really....the search for my holy grail continues!

@thomessa
You should try it! You'll be pleasantly surprised! Thanks for dropping by :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...